Red Wine and Orange Braised Beef
Cooking Time: 4h
Anyone wants a shoulder roast for dinner? Read this braised beef recipe with red wine and orange and cook it tonight to guarantee a successful meal.
- 725 g boneless beef chuck shoulder roast
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut in chunks
- 1 garlic head with the top cut off
- 1 cup red wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Zest of one (1) orange
- 2 cups (454 g) baby potatoes, halved
- 14 whole Nantes carrots
- 10 white mushrooms, halved
- 3-4 cups veal stock
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Bring a large casserole to medium heat, add a dribble of olive oil and brown the meat for 2-3 minutes on all sides. Add salt and pepper liberally. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic head with the cut part facing down, and cook for 2 minutes. Add more olive oil, if necessary. Deglaze with red wine, scraping the bottom to release all of the flavour.
- Add soy sauce, rosemary, honey, and the grated orange rind. Add salt, pepper and mix well. Put baby potatoes on the bottom and place the beef on top of them. Spread the carrots around the roast and do the same with the mushrooms.
- Pour enough veal stock to cover 3/4 of the meat, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to the low setting and let it slowly simmer for 3 h 30 or until the meat separates easily with a fork. Serve in its juices with rice and vegetables.