Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese Trio
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking Time: 4h05
Everybody likes a good mac and cheese recipe, and everybody likes pulled pork. Combine both and you will get this amazing mac and cheese with three different cheeses.
Ingredients for pulled pork
- One Maillard Capicola boneless pork butt roast, weighing about 800 g (1.75 lb.), not tied
- Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 whole leeks cut in chunks
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian spices
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Noire de Chambly (or any other smooth and creamy dark beer)
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
Ingredients for mac and cheese
- 375 g fusilli pasta
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup 15 % country-style cream
- 1 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Gouda
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups pulled pork
- Dried parsley
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
Preparation for pulled pork
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large ovenproof casserole dish, heat up a good drizzle of olive oil and brown your roast for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Use a dash of salt and pepper generously. Remove from the casserole and set aside on a plate.
- Add garlic, leek, onion, Italian spices and a dribble of oil. Mix well, add salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Deglaze with white wine, loosening everything from the bottom to release all the flavours. Add chicken broth, dark beer and mustard, stirring well. Place the roast in the centre of the casserole, baste it and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours, until the meat is easily pulled with two forks. Baste it every hour. Take the roast out of the oven, shred it and remove the fat.
Preparation for mac and cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Strain, rinse and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and mustard, garlic salt and paprika. Mix the ingredients together into a paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, salt and pepper and whisk it together until all lumps are gone. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes stirring regularly until the sauce starts to thicken, then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated cheese together. Add half of it to the sauce and let it melt while stirring regularly.
- Mix the pasta and sauce together in the larger pot then add the pulled pork. Mix well, taste and season if necessary.
- Pour into a square Pyrex dish, cover with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with dry parsley to taste.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Then broil for a few minutes only until the cheese is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Pulled pork left over? Add some of your favourite barbecue sauce and make yourself delicious sandwiches.