Lasagna with Deluxe Bolognese Sauce and Cheese Curds
Serves: 6 to 8
Cooking Time: 1h10
In this lasagna recipe, we decided to combine Italian flavours with local ones. Bolognese sauce + cheese curds = best lasagna recipe ever.
- 500 g medium ground beef, by Maillard
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 4 Nantes carrots, cut in half lengthwise then sliced
- A package (142 g) baby spinach
- 2 sticks of 796 ml of diced tomatoes with Italian spices
- 1 cup good quality red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian spices
- 12 lasagna pasta cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese +1/4 cup for the top
- 300 g cheese curds
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring. Add oil as needed.
- Add the carrots followed by a drizzle of olive oil and cook for 5 to 6 minutes to soften.
- Add the meat, season with salt and pepper and cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Break into small chunks. Drain the fat.
- Add the spinach and continue cooking for 2 minutes to make them fall.
- Add the tomatoes, red wine, tomato paste, sugar and spices then season with salt and pepper generously. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 25 minutes uncovered, or until the liquid is almost all evaporated and the mixture is creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the cream and Parmesan and mix. Continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring. Keep warm.
- Build your lasagna! In a large rectangular baking dish, spread 1 to 2 ladles of sauce in the bottom followed by a row of lasagna. Add a bit more sauce and cover with lasagna again. Continue until there are no more pasta and keep a nice amount of sauce for the top. Do not forget to add a layer of cheese curds in the center!
- Bury with mozzarella cheese and finish with Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Put to BROIL and continue cooking for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is golden! Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.