Carrot and Ginger Soup with Duck Topping
Cooking Time: 1h
Let yourself be comforted by this carrot and ginger soup recipe with duck topping. This soup recipe will warm you up and you can add duck meat for a little extra taste.
- 2 duck legs back removed with skin on
- Olive oil
- 3 cups carrots, finely sliced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp.Provence herbs
- 2 tbsp. white wine
- About 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. fresh chive, finely sliced + a bit for serving
- 1 small McIntosh apple, peeled and cored, cut in juliennes
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a big pan at medium-high heat, add ½ teaspoon olive oil and place the duck leg skin side down. Generously season with salt and pepper then grill for about 3-4 minutes on both sides. Reserve in plate.
- Add the carrots, onion, ginger and Provence herbs then stir well. Let caramelize for 5 minutes while stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with 1 tablespoon of white wine.
- Add enough broth to barely cover the duck, about 4 cups. Cover then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots are fork tender. Remove duck legs and set aside in plate. Let soup cool down for 5 minutes before skimming fat off. Reduce in puree using a blender and keep warm.
- Remove the skin from the duck legs then pull apart the meat while discarding any bits of fat. Coarsely chop.
- In a skillet at high heat, pour ½ teaspoon of olive oil then add the duck meat, chive and 1 tablespoon of white wine. Season with salt and pepper, toss well then cook for about 4-5 minutes to reduce wine and to make the duck crispy. Pour in a bowl and let cool down 5 minutes. Add the apple juliennes and toss.
- Pour soup in bowl then add a bit of the duck mix on top. Garnish with some fresh chive then eat immediately!