Braised Beef Shoulder Roast with Guinness Beer
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking Time: 3h25
Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day like you should with this Irish recipe. A good braised beef shoulder roast wouldn't be the same without some Guinness beer.
- 1 roast (725 g) boneless beef shoulder, by Maillard
- Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 880 ml (2 cans) Guinness beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add a dash of olive oil and brown the roast on all sides, about 10 minutes in total. Season with salt and pepper generously. Add oil as needed. Reserve the meat on a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes then season with salt and pepper. Cook for 12 minutes, stirring.
- Add beer, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add the beer and pour enough beef broth to cover the meat. Mix.
- Cover, bring to a boil and place in the oven. Cook for 3 hours, basting occasionally. Shred the meat and serve with the vegetables and the cooking juices!