Mezze Bowl with Chicken Souvlaki
Cooking Time: 15 min
Preparation: 20 min
A bowl of good, delicious, practical and healthy food, that's what you get with this Mediterranean mezze recipe! Also perfect for meal prep, you will crave this bowl for lunch, dinner and even in the middle of the night since it's so good and easy to prepare.
- 8 Greek-marinated chicken souvlaki skewers, by Maillard
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, in half or wedges
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives* (or any other black olives)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup tzatziki dip
- 1 cup durum semolina (couscous)
- 1 1/4 cup boiled water
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to boil for the couscous. Meanwhile, slice the cucumber, the cherry tomatoes, the feta cheese and the dried tomatoes. Chop the parsley and zest the lemon.
- Pour the semolina in a medium bowl. Add 1 1/4 cup of boiled water. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cook the souvlaki skewers, stove or barbecue grill. Over medium-high heat for the stove, or high heat for barbecue, brown the chicken skewers for 4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is well cooked.
- Finish the couscous: Take the grains apart with a fork. Add the parsley, the olive oil, the lemon zest, and the juice of half the lemon. Salt, pepper, mix altogether.
- Divide the couscous into four plates or bowls. On top of it, divide the cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, dried tomatoes and olives. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of tzatziki dip in each serving. Place 2 chicken skewers on top of each.
- Salt and pepper the cucumber and the tomatoes. If desired, drizzle with lemon juice.
- *Note: You can choose to pit the olives in advance, or let them whole. In case you don’t pit them, make sure to be careful while eating!