Braised Cacciatore Chicken Legs
Cooking Time: 1h10
Whether you call it a chicken cacciatore, cacciatora or even a hunter's chicken, this Maillard recipe will surely become one of your favorite recipes ever. Buon appetito!
- 6 natural chicken legs With Whole Back Removed (1.2kg total) by Maillard
- Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 Nantes carrots, cut in half and then sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 227g creminis mushrooms, sliced
- 398ml black olives, whole and pitted
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 796ml crushed tomatoes
- 40ml grilled diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the chicken legs 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots then season with salt and pepper. Pour a drizzle of olive oil if necessary. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the peppers, mushrooms, olives and capers and pour a thin stream of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the red wine and mix by scraping the bottom to grab all the flavours.
- Add remaining ingredients along with the chicken legs, season with salt and pepper and stir well. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce over medium-low heat. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice and garnish with fresh parsley!